The 52 Worst Films of the 2000s

Movies You Aught Not Watch: Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

Movies You Aught Not Watch is Nick Rogers’ weekly, alphabetical look back at the 52 worst films of 2000-2009.

“Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas”
Rated PG
2000

Kids and parents worldwide clearly have missed what modern filmmakers see in Dr. Seuss’s work — the seeds to turn storytelling patience into manic, pushy movies like “The Cat in the Hat” and 2000’s “Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” What’s next — the Lorax onscreen knocking people out with Truffula Tree trunks?

Ron Howard’s “Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas” loudly, aggressively defiles Seuss’s source — crudely, cynically mining that material to feed a misery machine. This film has the gall to spit in the audience’s gaping mouths with a joke about children desensitized by movies.

An unforgivable transgression from the usually reliable Howard, “Grinch” had the visual polish of a Menards tree aisle and resembled not a cheerful Christmas, but rather what the bloodcurdling onset of a mescaline bender might feel like.

It also marked the nadir of Jim Carrey’s wild-gesticulation performances. His voice sounded like a Sean Connery-aping brogue you’d hear from a frat brother after a few pitchers, and it seemed a cruel joke to give romantic stirrings to an anatomically neutered character.

That’s one of many kid-inappropriate steps in Jeffrey Price and Peter S. Seaman’s script, rife with gags about infidelity, bastard children and, possibly, a key party in Whoville (a city populated by impatient, self-absorbed competitive asses).

A Navy SEAL taught Carrey torture-resistance techniques to take his mind off entrapment in the suit. If only that kind of emotional valet had been provided for anyone in the audience with an age, or IQ, over 5.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Movies You Aught Not Watch: Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)”

1. Tangela says:

I must say that this movie did not keep the attention of my kids lol but certain parts was very funny

2. William says:

One of the best things I remember about seeing this movie was the fact that I saw it for free – gift cards aren’t always a bad Christmas gift. Anyway, I enjoyed this as a kid, but given I was fourteen or so back when this first came out (and I could sympathize with the movie!Grinch’s backstory about being bullied in school) and I’ve had no real chance to watch it since, odds are my memories are colored more by nostalgia than anything. If you have a choice, however, I’d recommend seeing the Chuck Jones version over this one; if nothing else, it’s shorter.

3. [...] the “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,”  ”The Cat in the Hat” and “Horton Hears a Who” films made some coin, but [...]

4. Jason Whitcher says:

One of my favourite films of all time. It is absolutely hilarious. If you are looking for a serious film forget it but if you are looking for mindless fun this is it. I can’t tell how many times I have seen it. To those who found the film awful you need to get a sense of humour.

5. chad cowgill says:

I think some of the jokes were tailored towards adults watching with their kids to keep them interested. The kids don’t understand it. But still the movie was pretty awful, the only decent parts were parts directly from the book.

6. Donald says:

I think that this movie, by no means, has what it takes to win an Academy Award for Best Picture, but it is somewhat enjoyable. It was not nearly as in-your-face about some of the "jokes". It was, however, interesting to see someones’ interpretation of the basic Grinch story. Not that this is any kind of endorsement, but my two children(ages 4 and 3) love this movie. I believe that this movie should be watched with an open mind and a love for the world of Dr. Seuss!

7. David says:

A few hilarious one liners from Carrey, but rubbish overall