Movie ReviewsRating: 4.5 of 5 yaps

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Harry Potter’s epic journey ends with power and majesty. For 10 years and seven previous films, we’ve waded through oceans of exposition and endured ever-burgeoning layers of new characters and mythology to absorb. All building to: This.

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2″ does not disappoint. It is easily the best film of the series, mainly because we no longer feel the filmmakers stringing us along to set up yet another movie. People die, many of them central characters, and the audience recognizes the finality of these events.

In the final showdown with the evil Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes, in still-creepy, bone-white makeup), there are several sequences that will last with me.

A terrifying chase through a maze with serpents of fire in pursuit. An assault on Hogwarts School by an army of Voldemort’s Death Eaters, complete with lumbering trolls and wraith-like Dementors that approaches the battles of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. A sad but illuminating journey through the mind of Severus Snape (Alan Rickman), the Hogwarts professor of shifting loyalties.

And, of course, Harry’s final toe-to-toe magical battle with Voldemort. Daniel Radcliffe has grown so much in this role and he brings it all together in this last movie, showing us the character’s bravery and contradictions, his rage and grief. The Harry Potter of “Deathly Hallows” is no longer a young boy excited by magic but has turned out much like LoTR’s Frodo, aged before his time and regretful of the events in which he’s been chosen by fate to play a pivotal role.

There’s also an element we haven’t seen out of Voldemort before — fear. Early in the story he realizes that Harry, Hermione (Emma Watson) and Ron (Rupert Grint) have stumbled upon the secret to his forbidding dark power. By splitting his soul into hidden objects called Horcruxes, he’s given them a chance to destroy him.

For those like me who have not read the series of books by J.K. Rowling, it can be a little difficult at times to keep up with the spinning narrative. At one point, Harry pulls out some little golden doohickey he acquired somewhere in his travels — a moment of which I could summon no memory. And then the thing it contains, which we had been told was the secret to Voldemort’s downfall, ends up playing no role in their confrontation.

Contrastingly, diehard fans may complain about the film not containing every morsel of detail from the books. Such a thing is impossible, even when director David Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves split the last book into two movies.

In that sense, this final film may be more satisfying to those who are innocent of Rowling’s novels than the untold millions who have voraciously consumed them.

(“Part 2″ is being released in 3-D, and a more worthless and distracting use of that technology I have never seen. It adds little depth to the action and dims the movie unnecessarily.

4.5 Yaps

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2”

1. [...] the “Harry Potter” series all wrapped up and the “Twilight” franchise sputtering to an end, there’s nothing bigger on the [...]

2. [...] “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II” [...]

3. sean sonnenschein says:

As this serial movie saga comes to an end I found this film to somewhat fall flat at times while i was actually hoping that with it being the last installment that it would be the one that would shine brightest of the 7 in the series. However, this film did not live up to my expectations and i left the theater feeling somewhat empty at the end. At least there are not going to be any more harry potter movies to have to sit through. Now is the time to begin the wait for THE HOBBIT.

4. Melanie says:

Loved this movie! I think it was one of the best HP movies! Really sad that it has come to an end!

5. Robert Baumann says:

OMG……I want more!!!!! That was amazing!!! What a movie,it left we wanting more Harry Potter movies. A must see!

Bob Baumann

6. [...] seems to be the most popular character during our wartime period as well. “Captain America” beat “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” at this past weekend’s box office, raking in an estimated $65.8 million — impressive and [...]

7. Rob says:

Going to buy the books and read them. Still feel let down by this final film, saw it in full blown IMAX 3D for the full effect but it was a waste of money, really really disappointed with the film.

8. Ryan says:

By far my favorite of the Potter movies. I read the books and was the most satisfied with this movies interpretation. There were only a couple of items they left out that I would have liked to have seen in the movie. Sad to see the series come to an end, but happy they were able to leave it on a good note.

9. sandi mojzuk says:

Who is Harry Potter??? OK, so everyone in the world knows Harry unless they were burried under a pile of whatever for the last few years. OMG – a legend, the best character to come along in many moons. Thanks to all of those involved in the writing, filming and just simply bringing us Harry Potter. Wish all parents and children and grandchildren would read the books and see the movies. What can I say – the best…..

10. Susan R. says:

I saw this movie at Midnight 07/15 and it was just simply amazing!!!! I went on Saturday 07/16 and saw it in 3D just to see what it was all about. There were some pretty cool parts but sooo not worth the extra money for 3D. I love all of the Harry Potter movies but this one by far was the BEST! I am just sooo sad that it is all over. It was always nice looking forward to the new Harry Potter movies.

11. angib says:

I love it and I’m planning to see it again tonight!! There were so many scenes where I wanted to stand up and cheer!!

12. Monica k says:

I liked it. It was bittersweet for it to be the end.

13. Rob says:

I’m wondering if I was watching a different film! I, like so many on here have not read the books. However, I have seen every film and been gripped by the on-going saga. This final film though left me really disappointed and the end ’19 years on’ sequence left me completely cold. My comments may seem out of place amongst the other glowing reports on here but believe me, as we left the cinema there were more than a few people commenting on how disappointed they were. A sad anti-climatic end to a brilliant sag – In my humble opinion.

14. i really dug this outro to the series.
    unfortunately, i did not enjoy it as much as my wife.

for me i want to see the wizard battles with more precision & length. the fight scenes are always too short, even with the final fight in this movie. its just anti-climactic.

stunning visuals & storytelling though!
    too bad we didnt get to see more of Dumpledore’s brother! he seemed like quite the badass.

15. Mike G says:

I have read all of the books multiple times. My wife hasn’t read any of the books, but has seen all of the films. We discussed the movie after we saw it on opening night and agreed that it was a fantastic close to the series. I was delighted that they were able to stay as close to the book as they did. If anyone complains that there were too many changes or they left too much out, then they simply don’t understand that it is completely impossible to include everything in a book such as this in the film. I was quite pleasantly surprised considering the fact that David Yates also directed the two previous films and I thought that the Half Blood Prince was the worst Potter film. Unfortunately it was also one of my favorite books in the series. I was afraid that Yates would fail in the final two films and disappoint fans, but he was able to pull out the final films fantastically.

16. Bliss says:

I enjoyed the movie. I am not a huge fan of 3D in general. I mean really. Since I haven’t seen 2D and 3D Deathly Hallows, I can’t really say if the 3D experience really was worth it. I imagine the explosions where more intense in 3D and maybe the snake scene… I really have no idea what parts would be very different. Just a way to make more money!

Great movie. I can’t imagine seeing it without knowing the story and have the prior knowledge from the books. It would be really confusing. No sure I would have liked it if I had to guess what was going on all the time.

I didn’t get special edition glasses, I am bummed!

17. Kyle Carothers says:

We’re going to see it tonight in 2D, thanks for the comments on the 3D.

18. Mary Strain says:

Great review of the article, and I couldn’t agree more! I’ve only read chapter 1 in the first book, after watching several of the movies, and I just couldn’t get into the books. I saw it in 3D, and it defintely didn’t add anything. However, my boys and I loved the Harry Potter’s collectible glasses! If you have followed this series the whole time, then this movie is a definite must see!

19. Rebecca M. says:

Saw the midnight showing. Worth the money and the sleep I lost!!! Best of all the films, I thought it stayed true enough to the book to satisfy those of us who read the entire series. There will always be liberties taken because time cannot afford for every detail. But this movie did not disappoint. And I agree with Lloyd’s opinion on the 3D…unnecessary.

20. John Walczak says:

I saw this final installment of the Potter series at a 3am showing on Thursday night / Friday morning. I thought the final film was very well done. While they took some liberties and strayed from the book a bit, the main story line was there. I really liked how they explained the horcruxes, especially Harry’s part in them. It is a must see for any fan of the Potter books.

21. Marti says:

Got to see this one to wrap up the whole series. Full of action and suspense, does not disappoint.

22. Sabrina Castleberry says:

I loved the movie. It was great!

23. Kim says:

I have read all the books and seen all the movies and by far this ine was the best. They added all the parts that were needed. The most important part was that they did Snape right and the things he did were for a reason. I cried, I laughed and I cheered. I an going to go and see it again on Tuesday.

24. Brandon Scales says:

I loved the movie and it was great the way they wrapped up the series by telling you needed to know in this series.

25. Justin Albertson says:

Loved this movie!!! Great ending to one of the best sagas of all time. This movie wraps up everything from the previous movies, in only a way that is fitting, in one action packed 2 hours and 20 minutes!!!

26. Kim D. says:

I thought the movie was good and wrapped everything up. The 3-D was poor.

27. Autumne says:

Absolutely loved it! Very fitting end to an epic series. I’ve already seen it twice. A little sad this is the end though.

28. Rob says:

Great Movie!!! Read all the books and now have watched all the movies. I enjoyed both a great deal. Definitely would recommend to anyone.

29. Grant says:

Just got back from the theater. Loved it! I was surprised there were not more people in the theater though. Lots of open seats.

30. Ken says:

The movie was truly epic and unforgettably magical. To me it was worth seeing in 3D, mostly because I wanted the exclusive Harry Potter 3D glasses, BONUS! Although true fans will mostly dislike the fact that it was short, and there were a lot of gaps that were not filmed. Then again if you add the two movies together it’s pretty long. Non-Reader fans should truly love the film as a whole. The fact that it was the last movie doesn’t hit you until the end.

31. Craig says:

The movie was fantastic! It deviated from the book a bit (maybe a lot, I was just too emotional to care), but I thought it was really well done on all accounts.

32. Andrew says:

This one looks good. It’ll be interesting to see it all wrapped up.

33. Scruff says:

Well written review. I might have to see this one even though I’ve only read one book (Goblet of Fire; yes I know it makes no sense to start in the middle)it was pretty engrossing.

34. Kent P says:

I am one of the many who have not read the books, as well as one of the few who has not seen a single movie before this one. However, one cannot live in this electronic world and not be somewhat versed in the lore of Harry Potter. Yes, I found myself lost a few times during this exciting movie, but the action and characterization kept me enthralled. I’ve been told that the books/movies "matured" more as they progressed, as I really didn’t expect to see this much death and destruction, as it was definitely more in the realm of LoTR than a children’s story. I was very satisfied with my first exposure to the world of Harry Potter, even if I came on during the last train. I will agree that the 3D didn’t seem to add much, and perhaps this is another argument in favor of that "gimmick" having run its Hollywood course.

35. Ally McQueen says:

I already have my tickets for the movies tonight! I can’t waite we will be watching both Deatly Hallows Part 1 an 2. I have read every book and own them and every movie. I just cant waite!

36. Craig says:

I cannot wait to see this movie at midnight tonight! I’ve been a die hard Harry Potter fan since the begining of the books. This officially marks the end of my childhood…