Winnie the Pooh

A charming little throwback of a picture, “Winnie the Pooh” will make parents and their young children fall in love with ol’ Pooh Bear and the gang all over again.

Once upon a time, Walt Disney made memorable pictures aimed at kids without excessive violence, targeted pop culture references or flashy, incoherent visuals, and again they show that to be the lazy person’s method of filmmaking.

If you’ve seen one “Pooh,” of course, you’ve seen them all, as Winnie, Eeyore, Tigger, Piglet and company do what they do — frolic around the Hundred Acre Wood and get into mild-mannered mischief.

This film is as much a nod to what’s come before as it is anything else, bookended by live-action shots of Christopher Robin’s bedroom and the toys who inhabit it, including stuffed versions of all of our friends. Plus, at several points in the film, the characters wander out of the Hundred Acre Wood and literally into some prose, revealing that we’re simply being read a story as we watch it. Pooh and others interact with the text, and oftentimes letters are spilled into a heap of consonants and vowels.

We segue into Pooh Bear looking for that ever-elusive pot of honey, looking for Eeyore’s lost tail and, along the way, stumbling across the evil, vicious “Backsoon” monster that has kidnapped Christopher Robin, and forming an ingenious plan for rescuing him. Speaking of the Backsoon, be sure to stay after the credits (which themselves are very watchable) for a little extra morsel.

There’s a certain warmth to these characters, and, at a brisk 68 minutes, we don’t have time to tire of them. This is a throwback act for sure, one that doesn’t bother to update its characters because it doesn’t need to. We’re not going to put Piglet in saggy jeans and backwards baseball cap, or have Pooh playing Angry Birds on his iPad, thank you very much. These guys kick it old school. For real, though.

Be sure to listen to that soundtrack, and hipsters might hear a familiar voice: Yep, that’s Zooey Deschanel singing.

I realize this movie isn’t going to break $100 million and isn’t meant for kids over, say, 7 or 8 years old. All of my kids are within that age range, and I was kind of pleasantly surprised that in this age of movies comprised mostly of blobby blurbs of color and manic, wisecracking characters, that we can still sit back, gulp down our soda and pick up where we left off with some old friends.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Winnie the Pooh”

1. Bliss says:

There is something here for kids and adults. I truly enjoyed the simplicity of this movie. I applaud the Disney machine for turning out a sweet film for a change. Someone else was looking for a moral. I guess I walked away thinking about how all the friends worked together to help Eeyore get a new tail initially and then to find a way out of the hole. I enjoyed all the clever word play. Some of that will be lost on the smaller crowd, but made the adults in the audience laugh.

Worth dragging your kids against their will to see! Mine ages 10 and 6 went willingly.

We stayed for the credits and waited until the projector turned off so we wouldn’t miss any extras. We were the only lucky ones!

We missed some of the old voices, but the new actors did a great job too. The soundtrack had some standards and some great new songs.

2. Kelly says:

Can’t wait to see this with my boys. Winnie the Pooh is a classic. I don’t ever have to worry about letting my boys watch it.

3. Rebecca Luebcke says:

Is it going to make me cry? Because I’m a pretty big crier (as in when I even begin to see a glimmer of tear in anyone’s eye then I am a bawling mess). I don’t want to cry but I have a feeling that I will tear just from the pure joy of the movie. Haven’t decided if that should keep me out of seeing it in theaters and wait till it comes out (is it even coming out on dvd?). Tough predicament. I guess only time will tell.

4. Katie says:

I cant wait to take my son to this, I just know hes going to love it.

5. JR says:

These characters have alwasy been among my favorites – sorry I wasn’t able to attend the screening with all the Yappers!!

6. Gina Wagner says:

I’m so behind! The only trip I’ve seen on my vacation is Harry Potter at a small town drive-in and I haven’t seen this one available over here yet so I’ll just have to wait till I get back. I love Eeyore! If they had made owl into an Angry Bird, I would have walked out of the theater.

7. Lindsey Maloof says:

I think this movie is going to be a big hit with the kids! I know I loved Pooh and the gang as a kid… Can’t wait to see it!

8. Kristi Wilkerson says:

I would love to see this movie. Unfortunately, my son think’s he is tool old to go see it so I will either have to go see it by myself or find someone else to go with me. I love Winnie the Pooh.

9. J.C.K. says:

my 4 year old absolutely loved this movie! a must see!!!!!!!!!

10. Alise Cool says:

Can’t wait to see this movie! It was a childhood favorite, and my loyalties remain strong. :)

11. Kate says:

PS: I still ♥ Eeyore!!!

12. Kate says:

What does it say about me that I plan to see Deathly Hallows & Winnie the Pooh with my 41 yr. old niece next weekend? I like to think that I enjoy a very well rounded fantasy life – I seek out the warm & fuzzy (or should I say "plush"?) as well as the scary & creepy. At nay rate, I can’t wait!

13. Chelsea says:

I went to see this with my daughter who is 3, it was adorable and sweet. It did however make a bit much use of the playing with text from the surrounding book, even going so far as to utilize it to help the characters solve problems rather than actually making it an exercise in figuring out how to cooperate. The thing I loved most about the original Pooh Bear adventures was the whimsy combined with an actual moral that could be applied to life, this movie has whimsy but lacks a bit in the morals. Not that, that makes it any less adorable. Just not quite as fulfilling as the Winnie the Pooh I grew up with.

14. Chris says:

The animation looks wonderful. A great movie to sit back and relax too. Let the memories of my carefree days when I was a child return.