DVD Reviews, Lead DVD Review

Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas

As good as ever, Tim Burton’s magnificently macbre Halloween/Christmas classic, newly released on 3D blu ray/DVD Combo pack, is a worthwhile home video option for those with 3D TVs and blu ray players, but doesn’t offer a whole heckuva lot to everyone else.

Don’t get me wrong, Jack Skellington’s quest to find life and fulfillment beyond Halloweentown is as good as ever, and the set is packed full of extras. It’s just that most of those extras were also available in the “Nightmare” blu ray and DVD set released in 2008.

As a film “Nightmare” is a touch underrated as a worthy Christmas/Halloween classic. It remains under the radar as the first full-length stop-motion animated film, where Burton’s musical ode to upper-class malaise offers up wonderful songs, a dark, biting wit, and heaping spoonfuls of imagination, providing a film that’s in season from September through December.

I won’t waste our time recounting the details of this terrific flick, but suffice it to say the voicework is still spot-perfect, the animation remains spectacularly moody and nuanced, and the story is every bit as tremendous as you remember.

The extras, which include two of Burton’s fantastic short films “Frankenweenie” and “Vincent,” are present as well to continue the mood, along with an audio commentary by Burton, director Henry Selick and Music Designer Danny Elfman, a making-of featurette, deleted scenes, a Haunted Mansion Holiday Tour by Jack Skellington, storyboards, and the usual accoutremont, but again most of this is recycled from the previous release.

So if you missed this set last time around (like I did), want to upconvert for your new 3D TV or blu ray player, then you’ll certainly want to pick this one up.

If you’re content with your creaky old DVD release, then by all means don’t bother haunting your local department or electronics store just for this one.

Film: 4.5 Yaps
Extras: 4 Yaps

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas”

1. chad cowgill says:

As a kid this movie freaked me out a little bit, but as I grew older I saw how good it really was. It defines the genre and is really the original that made the stop animation famous, especially for Tim Burton. No one does it quite like him.

2. Melissa says:

Tim Burton is a master. :) I loved this in 3D. When it was in the theater, my friend and I were the only ones there! A loss for everyone else and a Big Win for us! Bottom line, this is awesome, pick it up.

3. Josh says:

Love this movie. Watched it all the time until I lost the dvd. Still remeber going to see it in theatres when it first came out. Just picked this set up. Love the new cover for it much better than the Jack portrait. Defiantely a great classic worth the price of the set if you don’t already own it.

4. Brandon says:

Filmyap needs a poll to determine how many consider this a Halloween movie and how many consider it a Christmas movie.

5. dale schmucker says:

I love Tim Burtin’s work. he must have had one odd childhood. love all his work esp the nightmare before christmas, its a classic!!!

6. Mark Upshaw says:

I have to watch this movie at least twice a month with my four year old. Although I enjoy the movie too, I don’t understand his fascination. It’s simply the magic of Tim Burton.

7. Sonya says:

I absolutely love Tim Burton, and watch this movie every year at Halloween while carving pumpkins!

8. John Walczak says:

This, by far, is the best stop motion animation movies of all time. It is a classic film for both Halloween and Christmas time. Even though I already own the initial Blu-Ray edition, I went ahead and picked up the new 3D version just so I could enjoy this fine film in 3D glory. I am in my mid 30s and still get a kick out of the great songs and whitty dialogue. One of Tim Burton’s best films. If you have a 3D TV, this is a must have for your 3D collection.