American Reunion

Watching “American Reunion” is sort of like going to your own high school reunion: It’s not nearly as much fun as it should be.

As nice as it is to see some of the old gang again, the tang of unrealized dreams and squandered potential hangs over the scene like a vapor. The good ol’ days are just that and continuing to chase them feels increasingly pathetic. Rebelling against authority is harder when you’re starting to resemble your parents.

The first movie was way back in 1999, which feels like a different era now. Over the closing credits we see photographs of the cast from “American Pie,” looking so young and achingly fresh. They’re still pretty young; the youngest of the main cast is 31, the oldest 38. But let’s face it: Their film careers are pretty much kaput.

(What, you didn’t see Chris Klein in “Hank and Mike,” a movie about two guys in pink bunny suits in which he wasn’t even one of the bunnies? Or Jason Biggs in “Lower Learning”?)

“Pie” was actually quite funny with some unexpected sentimentalism mixed in with the scatological humor. The sequel was reasonably entertaining and the third one, where horny geekboy Jim (Biggs) marries high school sweetheart-slash-dominatrix Michelle (Alyson Hannigan) was … sufficient.

But the last feature film was way back in 2003, and since then there have been four more movies that went straight to video, dubbed “American Pie Presents…” featuring Stifler’s cousin going to college or something. The brand hasn’t been so much devalued as pimped out and strung out.

So it’s hard to see “American Reunion” as anything other than a cynical chance to cash in on fading popularity.

Original directors Paul and Chris Weitz are long gone, and directors Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, who previously helmed one of the “Harold & Kumar” flicks, also co-wrote the script.

The story plays out with predictable character arcs. The gang is back in town for its 13-ish-year high school reunion — somebody spaced on the 10th, so this is the makeup — and it’s an opportunity for old romances to be reunited.

For Jim and Michelle, that means getting the heat back in the bedroom. After a few years of marriage and a 2-year-old, they’re no longer getting their freak on — at least not when they’re both in the same room.

Oz (Klein) is now the famous host of a sports blather show and TV dancing star. He’s got a super-hot girlfriend but still pines for Heather (Mena Suvari). Finch (Eddie Kaye Thomas), having conquered the challenge of bedding Stifler’s mom (Jennifer Coolidge), has moved on to a life of international mystery.

Stifler (Seann William Scott), meanwhile, is still the same party-hearty dude who manages to rub everyone the wrong way. Kevin (Thomas Ian Nicholas), the vanilla-ish nice guy, lives in marital bliss until he sees old flame Vicky (Tara Reid) again.

There are a few genuinely funny bits, mostly involving sexual humor, such as when Jim gets caught pantless in the kitchen and resorts to some transparent attempts at hiding his manhood. There’s also a gag involving Jim’s dad (Eugene Levy) and a bucket of popcorn worth a few hoots.

But mostly, “American Reunion” just feels tired. It’s the act of getting back together just for the sake of being back together for awhile.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “American Reunion”

1. Kellie says:

This is a feel good comedy. My fiancé and I laughed throughout it. Great date movie.

2. lisa hundley says:

i wouldn’t even bother going to see this movie. the first one was good, the second one was ok and the 3rd was a bomb. so why would i go to see this? the same old jokes, the same characters, older but acting young. i would rather see the first one again.

3. Monica K. says:

I enjoyed the movie and seeing the reunion of the old cast. I laughed through most of the movie. Stiffler was crazy funny as always.

4. Rebekah F. says:

All in all, American Reunion was much better than I expected but still forgettable. In these movies, you expect crazy hijinks and shock value and after seeing it over a week ago I really don’t remember much. Hopefully this will be the last one, but I wouldn’t doubt if they try to run it in the ground further.

5. kelly H says:

We saw this movie a few weeks ago. Generally, I am not a fan of comedic sequals because they seem to go downhill w each new movie. We were pleasantly surprised at American Reunion. We laughed frequently and enjoyed the movie very much.

6. Jamie B says:

I thought that this movie was a good nod to the original and a great way to close the series. I laughed several times and I was surprised at how many memories it brought back to me of where I was and who I was with when I saw the original. My only criticism is the whole 13 year reunion thing, they should have just said it was the 10 year. All in all, I definitely recommend it and its best seen in the theater for all of the funny extras in the credits.

7. sarah s says:

Ill be honest. I am not the biggest american pie fan, I remember the first and second one and then they fade off after that- maybe I’ve seen bits and pieces when they play the movies on tv, but thats about it. We decided to see it for lack of other interesting movies playing at that particular time, and was surprised at how amusing the movie was. The plot wasn’t anything new- high school reunion, and old flames reuniting etc. but there were still a few jokes in there- rude crude and lewd i guess, but the kind that 20/30 something viewers will enjoy. I heard an assortment of people in the audience laughing out loud at parts. Overall it was somewhere in the middle for me, you probably could wait until it comes out on redbox and be fine, but i would recommend it- I’ve seen much worse!

8. Cameron says:

I saw this movie at a recent screening and expected it to be as sophomoric as the last 8 or so editions. I was really surprised to find that it was solidly funny all the way through. Even though it was over two hours long, I felt it was well paced and had laughs galore that weren’t forced. I recommend it!

9. Alexis says:

This movie was better than I thought it would be! a lot of great callbacks to the original and Stiffler was great as always!

10. Nik says:

I don’t mind this sequel as a concept. The original was an absurd teen-sex comedy. Maybe not as good as Porky’s, but it had value. And casting was key. All of the actors and their respective characters were likeable. And they’re just as likeable here.

But the age thing has shifted enough. And the character focus has shifted enough to where the plot has lost all of it relate-ability. And while the original has heart, it’s jokes came around the main point of dicks and boobies. Here, the story tries to have too much heart – focused on Jim and Michelle’s disconnecting marriage – but then tries to score the same old jokes that don’t make sense for people in their 30s. Deflowering drunken virgins, public S&M …and poop.

And speaking of Michelle- Alyson Hannigan is definitely pushed off to the side plot-wise more than I find acceptable. She’s one of my favorites of the bunch and she spent most of the time at home with the baby. I do, on the other hand, appreciate Eugene Levy’s increased role. Admittedly, I didn’t see any of the interim Pie sequels, which I think he and his eyebrows were in all of; but his plot line made sense and he was funny.

11. Glen Guerreroo says:

Was A VERY funny movie, with all the origional cast back it really brought back The American Pie everyone knows and laughs at!

12. I really enjoyed this movie! It was funny and very entertaining. The silly things we did to each other, friends, etc. When I see some of my old high school friends, it’s odd how some have never changed and the ones who have changed if for the better :)!

13. I really enjoyed this movie! It was funny and very entertaining. It brought back memories when I was in high school. The silly things we did to each other, friends, etc. When I see some of my old high school friends, it’s odd how some have never changed and the ones who have changed if for the better :)!